This endowment was established by the Soo Cooperative Company Board of Directors. The company has a storied history in Sault Ste. Marie starting with its incorporation in 1913. Founded by a group of Sault residents, including a number of employees from the Northwest Leather Company, (known as “The Tannery”), who were concerned with the high cost of groceries and supplies; the Soo Co-Operative Company became one of the dominant grocery markets in the city. After 99 years of serving the community, the doors closed for the final time in 2012. Successful candidates must be an incoming freshman majoring in any course of study who is a graduate of a Chippewa County High School with a minimum 2.5 GPA.