The origin of the War Memorial Hospital Auxiliary dates back to a small group formed in 1903. Beginning with six members, the auxiliary has become a dynamic arm of the hospital, numbering approximately 250 members. Along with providing its many services, the auxiliary formed a Remembrance Fund in 1950 for the purpose of giving interest-free loans to deserving students in the nursing and medical fields. The Auxiliary established this scholarship in 1998 to benefit a nursing student who demonstrates community leadership and a dedication to working in a medical or nursing field. Successful candidates must have at least 26 LSSU credits and is a graduate of a Chippewa County high school with a minimum 3.0 GPA.